Beef Stroganoff Over Fettuccini Noodles
- 4 pounds of beef chuck roast, cut into ½-inch thick cubes
- 1/3 cup of cooking sherry
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large Spanish Onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter (again)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ cups of Portobello mushrooms-sliced
- 11/3 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8oz.) package Philadelphia brand cream cheese, softened
- 2 pounds of cooked fettuccini noodles – prepared according to instructions
- Place the beef into a large bowl. Stir in the cooking sherry, salt, and black pepper. Marinate for 10 minutes, then remove the beef and pat dry with a paper towel. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the beef; cook and stir until browned, then transfer to a plate, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain any remaining grease from the skillet. Melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook and stir until the onion is soft and translucent. Transfer the onion mixture to the plate with the prepared beef; set aside.
- Melt another 3 tablespoons butter in the same skillet over medium heat, and stir in the Portobello mushrooms. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes. Place the cooked mushrooms in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in the skillet. Whisk in the flour, cook and stir until the flour no longer tastes raw, about 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the beef stock. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to medium low. Pour in the reserved cooking sherry marinade, Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard, and red pepper flakes, then add the beef and onion mixture. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in the mushrooms, sour cream. Season with salt and black pepper and serve over fettuccini!