OnGrowing Mindfulness: Therapeutic Horticulture for Individuals Living with Dementia & Their Loved Ones
Chef Norm’s Lemon Meringue Pie
August 6, 2014
- 2- 9″ pie shells
- 2- 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 egg yolks-save the egg whites-in a separate bowl
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 & 1/4 cups of boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- total 10 egg whites, plus the 5 from the egg separation
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1 & 1/4 cups confectionery sugar
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- sift the sugar, cornstarch & salt
- Blend in gradually the cold water & lemon juice
- when smooth, blend in the egg yolks & butter, then add the boiling water. Bring this mixture to a full
- boil, constantly stirring gently (in a sauce pan). When mixture starts to thicken, reduce heat &
- simmer for a minute, or so. Then remove from heat & add the grated lemon zest.
- Pour mixture into the pie shells.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl. until frothy, then add the cream of tarter. Continue beating
- until stiff but not dry, then slowly add in sugar & finally the vanilla.
- YOU CAN NOT OVER BEAT. MUST BE VERY CAREFUL.
- Pipe onto top of pies, bake in over at 350 degrees, about 6-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- YOU MUST WATCH NOT TO OVER BAKE THE MERINGUE.