Chef Norm’s Prime Ribs au Jus
Prime Ribs au Jus – Simple & Delicious!
- 5-6 pound P
- rime Rib Roast
- ¾ cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
Meat Thermometer is a must!!!
Pre-heat your oven to 450. In a mixing bowl, mix the softened butter with all of the other ingredients. Rub the butter mixture entirely over the prime rib & then place the prime rib, fatty side up, in an uncovered roasting pan.
Cook for 45 minutes & then place the thermometer probe into the center of your roast & check the internal temperature. The internal temperature should be around 130 degrees. Check every 10-15 minutes after the initial check, until you have reached the proper internal/center temperature.
Once the internal temperature is 130 degrees, remove the prime rib from the oven take it out of the roasting pan and set aside for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving, while you prepare the au jus. Please remember that even though you have removed the prime rib from the oven, the center may continue to cook a few more minutes, while out of the oven.
Always remember that you can always continue to cook the slices of prime rib, if they are too rare. Unfortunately, if you over cook the meat, there is nothing you can do to fix that. So personally, I keep my prime rib at a 125 degrees-center.
After the prime rib is finished and sitting on the side, prepare the au jus. Combine the ingredients below in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add seasoning to taste.
- All beef drippings from the pan after the prime rib is cooked
- 2 cups of red cooking wine
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard (if you like your au jus spicy, you can always add more mustard)
- 1-2 teaspoons of beef base powder
- 1 cup water
- Season with some salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, if necessary.