So many of our Kensington families have asked for this recipe!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 very large white onion-diced
- 1-2 cups of diced fresh carrots
- 1 & ½ pounds of lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 medium head of white cabbage shredded
- 1 (28 oz) can of Hunts tomato puree (I only use Hunts products)
- 1 (28 oz) can of Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 cup of white rice (uncooked)
- ½ cup of lemon juice, from concentrate-(possibly 1 cup, depending upon taste)
- ½ cup of honey-(possibly 1 cup, depending upon taste)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (optional)
- 1 beef bouillon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Heat butter in a skillet over a medium flame, cook diced onion until tender, approximately 5-10 minutes, then add the chop meat, continue to cook and stir until the chop meat is browned, probably another 5-10 minutes.
In a large pot, combine all of the ingredients (including the cooked chop meat & onion mixture), except for the rice. Cover & cook on a low flame for several hours, continuously stirring. When the carrots & cabbage are soft, add the rice & continue to cook until the rice is soft. If the soup is too thick, you may want to add some additional water.