Chef Norm’s Xavier Steak
As featured on our Kensington dinner menu…
- 2 (10oz) New York Strip Steaks – at least 1″ thick
- Pepper to taste, Salt is optional
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil-plus some additional olive oil to grease your grill pan
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Season the steak with pepper (and salt-optional). Place in a dish and drizzle with Worcestershire sauce. Turn the steaks, cover and refrigerate 15 minutes. Turn steaks again, cover and place back in the refrigerator for 15 minutes longer.
- Pre-heat your grill pan (large enough for the two steaks & 6 Asparagus spears) on a medium flame and lightly oil. Place steaks on the heated grill pan.
- Toss the Asparagus with the olive oil, in a bowl. and season to taste. Then place the asparagus on the grill pan, next to the steaks. Cook a few minutes, then turn the steaks and the Asparagus.
- When the steaks and the Asparagus are done, place 3 asparagus on each steak and cover with 4 slices of Swiss cheese. Continue to cook until the Swiss cheese starts to melt. Remove from the pan & let the steaks sit for 5 minutes, then serve.
This dish is great with seasoned rice or Garlic & Chive mashed potatoes.