Fried Green Tomatoes by Chef Norm
- 4 medium green tomatoes (sliced ½ inch)
- 1 teaspoon of salt & ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal
- 3/4 cup of bread crumbs
- black pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sweet butter
- ¾ cup of crumbled farmer cheese
- ½ cup of real bacon bits
- Honey for drizzle
- Place tomato slices on paper towel over a wired baking rack. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and let slices stand for 15-20 minutes for the salt to draw out the extra juices.
- Mix the cornmeal and the bread crumbs together in a bowl, then stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, some black pepper, and some cayenne pepper to taste. Mix the eggs with milk in a separate bowl. Place flour into a third bowl.
- Pat tomato slices dry with paper towels. Then lay the slices, (one at a time), into flour; flip to coat both sides and let slices rest in the flour for about 30 seconds. Remove each slice and dip in egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture, coating both sides of each slice thoroughly. Spread crumbs onto all sides and into tomato crevices with a fork. Rest tomatoes on rack for 10 minutes to let the coating set.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat; heat vegetable oil with the butter until the butter melts, bubbles, and makes a sizzling sound. Fry tomatoes in the hot butter-oil mixture until tomato slices are slightly soft and coating is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Use a spatula to flip the tomatoes.
- Place the fried green tomatoes on a serving tray and top with some crumbled farmer cheese, bacon bits & drizzle with some honey.