If you live in the Big Apple, you don’t need anyone to tell you why it’s known as the greatest city in the world. Senior living in New York City is great for maintaining an active lifestyle, and its surrounding environs offer unmatched opportunities.
No other location rivals New York City for culture, cool, and convenient — or packs so much living into such small square footage! While it’s difficult to narrow down the possibilities, here are our top ten choices offering the most variety and fun for active New Yorkers:
- Lower East Side Food and Culture. While the Upper East and West sides are renowned for their tony addresses that are home to myriad celebrities, for a deep dive into Manhattan’s culinary culture, you’ll want to visit the Lower East Side. You can even arrange a guided food tour so you won’t miss out on hidden gems.You might savor fresh challah from a Jewish bakery, sample heavenly marinara in Little Italy, or delight in any number of authentic Asian dishes in Chinatown. Bring an adventuresome palate and an empty stomach.
- Statue of Liberty. The iconic Lady Liberty who welcomes seekers to New York is a must if you’ve never been there. You’ll take a ferry ride from Lower Manhattan, and relive immigration history at the statue’s museum. History buffs will learn details even they never knew.
- Central Park. From summer concerts to winter ice skating at Wollman Rink, Shakespeare in the Park to boat rides on the lake — and let’s not forget the celebrated Central Park Zoo — Central Park has something to offer everyone, in every season.Senior living is a breeze when you have so much choice available. The 843-acre park has enough walking trails and picnic areas to keep even the most active senior busy and happy in retirement.
- Hayden Planetarium. If you love looking up at the night sky, you’ll thrill to this virtual joyride through the universe. A great place to take the grandkids on a rainy day, the Hayden Planetarium, an arm of the American Museum of Natural History, is an aspiring astrophysicist’s dream.
- Broadway Theatre. “They say the neon lights are bright, on Broadway…” sang The Drifters. This street has been immortalized in countless songs, with good reason: Broadway boasts some of the best acting in the world.Whether your taste runs to musicals, classics, experimental theatre, or whatever’s currently the most popular stage show, you’re sure to enjoy a superb experience. Book your tickets well in advance.
- Shopping. Aside from New York’s venerable garment district, the City offers a superlative shopping experience that no well-turned out senior would want to miss.The elite come from across the globe to go home with souvenirs that showcase their time in the Big Apple. From Bergdorf Goodman to Bloomingdale’s, Henri Bendel to Saks Fifth Avenue, luxury and fashion-forward designs await.
- Spa Day. While all these activities can be a joy, sometimes you just want to relax and let someone pamper that active senior body. Once again, you’ve come to the right place.New York City offers more than 700 spas of every description to satisfy your desire for a deep soak, mani-pedi, or superb massage. Remember to drink lots of water after your spa treatment!
- Empire State Building. People in other parts of the country may remark on their terrific views, but nothing rivals what you can see from the top of the Empire State Building.Soaring 1454 feet above midtown Manhattan, the Empire State Building is the world’s most famous office building. On a clear day, visitors will be able to see New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts from the observation decks.
- Dinner Cruise. You’ve probably eaten at some fine restaurants in your time. But have you ever eaten aboard a yacht while cruising the Hudson River? Now that’s an experience! The floating dinner excursion typically includes a champagne reception.
- Comedy Clubs. A lot of well-known comedians got their start in small comedy clubs in places like New York and LA. If you love to laugh and don’t mind the sometimes raucous atmosphere, New York’s comedy club scene may be just the ticket.
Active Retirement Just Outside the Apple
Phew! That’s a whirlwind of activity. Perhaps you’d like to slow the pace a bit?
For seniors who want the best of both worlds, The Kensington White Plains provides it. A scant 25 miles north of the City, our dignified, majestic senior living residence rises to greet the discerning elder who expects the best. From fine dining, to a suite of life enrichment activities, our residents enjoy an active lifestyle in retirement.
We also provide specialized memory care “neighborhoods” for our seniors who are ready for this extra level of care.
The Kensington White Plains is at your service. We look forward to welcoming you home.