The holiday season at The Kensington White Plains is set to sparkle with more than just festive lights and joyful carols.
This year, residents and guests are in for a treat with an educational presentation and cooking demonstration that promises to nourish both the palate and the brain.
The event “Home for the Holidays: Healthy Recipes for Happy Gatherings,” featuring the renowned Chef Annie Fenn, MD, and her Brain Health Kitchen, underscores the importance of maintaining brain health during the holiday festivities.
RSVP to join us on Dec. 6 at 6:00 p.m. EST for a vibrant and educational virtual cooking demonstration with Chef Annie Fenn.
Our promise is to love and care for your family as we do our own.
“Home for the Holidays: Healthy Recipes for Happy Gatherings” event details
Get ready for an unforgettable evening at The Kensington White Plains, where the spirit of the holidays meets the art of brain-healthy cooking!
This festive event is designed to dazzle your senses and enrich your mind.
Here’s a glimpse of the culinary magic you can expect from our host Chef Annie Fenn:
- Fig & almond snack bars: Kickstart the evening with these delightful snack bars, a perfect blend of sweet figs and crunchy almonds, promising a healthy and energizing start.
- Cranberry bean & sausage stew: Dive into the warmth of the holidays with this hearty and nutritious stew, brimming with the rich flavors of cranberry beans and savory sausage.
- Double chocolate pistachio biscotti: Indulge in the luxurious taste of double chocolate paired with the nutty goodness of pistachios in these biscotti, a perfect companion for your holiday coffee or tea.
- Chewy chai-spiced cookies: Conclude the demonstration with these aromatic cookies, infused with the comforting spices of chai, offering a sweet and spicy end to the culinary journey.
Chef Annie Fenn stands at the intersection of medicine and culinary arts, championing brain health through her innovative and simple cooking techniques.
As a board-certified physician turned chef, her journey is marked by a deep-seated passion for women’s health and a personal mission to combat cognitive decline, inspired by her mother’s dementia diagnosis.
In 2015, Chef Fenn founded the Brain Health Kitchen, the first cooking school of its kind focused on preventing cognitive decline through diet and lifestyle.
Her classes are a blend of culinary delight and scientific insight, focusing on neuroprotective foods and brain-friendly cooking techniques.
The MIND Diet—a staple in Chef Fenn’s menus— is a fusion of the Mediterranean and DASH diets, that fights against cognitive decline.
Its principles are not just about eating healthily but strategically choosing foods that specifically benefit brain health.
The MIND (Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay) Diet is designed to prevent dementia and loss of brain function as we age. It combines elements of the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet, which focuses on reducing hypertension.
The primary aim of the MIND Diet is to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia through targeted dietary choices.
Research suggests that the MIND Diet significantly lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s and slows cognitive decline. By emphasizing specific brain-healthy foods, it helps build a dietary pattern that supports cognitive health over time.
Key components of the MIND Diet include:
- Green, leafy vegetables: Kale, spinach, and other greens are rich in vitamins and nutrients like folate, which are essential for brain function.
- Berries: Particularly blueberries and strawberries, are known for their antioxidant properties.
- Nuts and seeds: A source of healthy fats and proteins, nuts like almonds and walnuts are excellent for brain health.
- Whole grains: Oats, brown rice, and whole wheat bread are integral for a balanced diet.
- Fish and poultry: Especially fatty fish like salmon, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vital for brain health.
- Olive oil: A healthy fat that replaces butter and margarine in cooking.
- Wine: In moderation, wine can be beneficial due to its antioxidant properties.
Foods to limit include red meats, butter and stick margarine, cheese, pastries and sweets, and fried or fast food.
At The Kensington White Plains, the focus on memory care is both compassionate and comprehensive, deeply rooted in an understanding of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
With a commitment to enhancing the lives of residents at all stages of memory loss, the facility offers a holistic approach to health and wellness.
The Kensington White Plains provides extensive support through on-site medical services, personalized care coordination, and rehabilitation services.
Additionally, innovative programs like Eversound audio technology, collaborations for cognitive stimulation, music therapy, and Robo-Pet Therapy enrich the lives of residents, fostering a sense of community and well-being.
The features of The Kensington White Plains’ memory care program:
- Two specialized neighborhoods: Connections for early to middle-stage care, and Haven for middle to late-stage care, each offering a supportive and secure environment tailored to different levels of memory loss.
- Holistic health approach: Emphasizes physical activities, engaging social settings, and brain-healthy dining options for overall wellness.
- Special services: THRIVE with Parkinson’s, a program for new and current residents with movement disorders with their family members. We have partnered with leaders in the field of movement disorders to create a program involving weekly on-site and virtual classes and educational events.
- Comprehensive support: Includes on-site medical services, personalized care coordination, and state-of-the-art rehabilitation services.
- Family-centric community: Encourages family involvement and provides support and resources for families coping with memory care challenges.
- Expert caregiving team: Staffed by professionals with specialized training in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, ensuring compassionate and knowledgeable care.
- Nutritional care: Tailored meal plans that cater to individual health needs and preferences, focusing on nourishing both body and mind.
Discover unparalleled care and support at The Kensington White Plains.
Explore our specialized Alzheimer’s, and dementia care programs, designed to provide personalized support for your loved ones. Benefit from our comprehensive rehabilitation services that cater to a range of needs.
We invite you to RSVP for our upcoming event “Home for the Holidays: Healthy Recipes for Happy Gatherings.”